Thursday, October 21, 2010

Class, Class, Class






After the Turkey trip, we had A LOT of class time to make up! We ended up having class for about 5 hours on Tuesday. This was very hard for me to sit through, but I did it- with a half smile on my face. After class, I went to a local stationary store with my roommate and looked around for some American magazines. I found a copy of the September Issue of Vogue and quickly took it down from the shelf. Ever since I have seen "The September Issue," I have been mildly obsessed with Anna Wintour, Grace Coddington, the inner workings of the publication. I was so excited to see the American copy sitting in front of me. After a long day of classes and work, I thought this would be a nice treat for the evening.

That night we had our weekly Tuesday night mezze dinner. I was pretty lazy this week, and ended up bringing Turkey sandwiches. I of course, went all out and toasted the bread, thinly sliced tomatoes, onions, pickles, and lettuce, but they were still just sandwiches. We watched MTV and the U.K.'s hit list countdown. I wish I could watch MTV and television in general here, but we only get one channel, very static-y and in Greek.

After dinner, I finished my homework for classes the next day and began to read Vogue. I was so happy to see all of my favorite designers and read the articles in English! It was just what I needed after a long day :)

October 6th

On Wednesday our group took a trip to the Acropolis and the new Acropolis Museum. Both were such amazing experiences. I have been in Athens for about a month and a half now, have seen the Acropolis sitting on the top of the hill almost everyday, but had not made it up to see it for myself yet.

We started at the Acropolis Museum. Like most museums in Athens, pictures were not allowed. The new museum was actually built on top of some of the remaining ruins from the Acropolis. So, the floors are made of glass so you can see down to the ruins below the building. Even on the 4th floor, there is glass to the bottom, which got a little trippy at times. There were remains from the Parthenon and the Acropolis all over the museum. The actual pieces that survived so many battles, fires, and cannon balls in ancient times were sitting right in front of me. It was so cool to see those remaining pieces of history close enough to touch. There was even a short film that explained the history behind the museum, the Parthenon, and the Acropolis.




After the museum we walked up to the Acropolis. We were able to see the Roman theater that was built during Roman occupation. We were also able to see the Parthenon where the ancient battle took place for the name of the city between Athena and Poseidon. Athena won (athens) and we also saw the Olive Tree that she planted there when she won the battle for the city. We could also see the whole city of Athens. I was even able to take a picture of Lykavitos Hill- the highest point in Athens that I occasionally walk/jog/run up when I am extremely motivated :)

Picture from my adventures can be found at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ericatomaszewski

Keepin' It Classy in Athens, Greece!!
~Erica out

No comments:

Post a Comment